GTA 6 attracts all eyes of fans of the saga. Information and rumors about him are already starting to appear on the web. It’s time to take stock of everything we know about the future big production of Rockstar Games. Price, platforms, release date, details on the gameplay, find here everything you need to know about GTA 6.
Latest news on GTA 6
GTA 6 is of course one of the most anticipated games by fans of the saga and Rockstar productions in general. In early 2020, the studio confirmed that the game was well in development. You will find in this regularly updated file all the information, rumors and noise of corridors relating to GTA 6, the future juggernaut of Rockstar Games.
What is the release date of GTA 6?
Of course, no official release date has yet been announced for GTA 6. The game has not even been unveiled, although we know that Rockstar likes to announce its titles more than a year in advance. It should therefore not be hoped for in 2021, or even 2022.
The VentureBeats site analyzed Rockstar’s financial forecast and concluded that the title shouldn’t arrive until 2023, or even 2024. Jason Schreier, the notorious Bloomberg reporter, provided his opinion in a since-deleted tweet. For him, COVID has slowed production at Rockstar enormously and it will take patience. At the moment, we are therefore in the dark about the game.
Still, the players are visibly on edge about this issue. In reaction to the Jason Schreier tweet affair, Netflix posted this joke: “Basically, GTA VI is coming soon ”. There followed a tidal wave of responses, some even interpreting the pseudo-information in the first degree. Proof if it is that GTA 6 is probably the most anticipated game of the moment.
On which platforms will the game be released?
Based on its late release date, GTA 6 would be exclusively for next-gen consoles, namely the PS5 and Xbox Series X. Considering the estimated release date, that wouldn’t really be the surprise of the century. . However, nothing has been finalized yet and we can only assume.
From a technical standpoint, it would be amazing to see GTA 6 release in 2023 or 2024 over two generations at a time. The next-gen will be well established by then. As for the PC version, it will certainly take to wait a little. Rockstar has a habit of releasing its computer games about a year after release on consoles.
The safest information about GTA 6
On April 15, 2020, the journalist Jason Shreier (still him) published a long article on the culture of crunch at Rockstar. He discusses the working conditions on Red Dead Redemption 2, but also the future studio project, namely GTA VI. This title would be smaller than the previous games, but would be more followed over time.
Rockstar could opt for a GTA Online formula, of the Game-as-service type. The title could be regularly watered with content in order to keep the players. This change of course would be a direct result of the controversies that rocked Rockstar during the release of Read Dead Redemption 2.
Several articles at the time denounced a very intense crunch culture, and almost mandatory at Rockstar. As a reminder, crunch means a period of intense work before the delivery of a product. An unfortunately common practice in the video game industry. Since the publication of these articles, Rockstar has been trying to work things out and revise their organization.
Making a “more modest” game is allowing Rockstar improve development conditions, to better manage the schedule and to organize the work over a long period of time and not over a very short period of time. Like GTA Online, players will experience the game and come back to it regularly to test (and pay for?) The new content uploaded.
In early 2021, fans spotted a patent filed by Rockstar. This evokes an improved behavior of the non-player characters, who would each have their own behavior. A feat made possible thanks to the use of a dedicated server. Nothing says this patent will be used for GTA 6, but it does seem like a serious working track for the studio.
The latest rumors about GTA 6
For now, there is no official information from Rockstar yet. However, several leaks claiming to know certain details of the game have emerged on the net. Two of them made a lot of talk about them. The first appeared on Reddit in June 2019 and the second in May 2020. The first evokes a game strongly inspired by the Narcos series:
- The code name for GTA VI would be Project AMERICAS
- GTA VI would currently be Rockstar’s main project, alongside another new game (probably Bully 2)
The scenario :
- GTA VI would invite players to once again tread the streets of Vice City as well as a new city located in South America, which would be a reproduction of the current Rio de Janeiro. Missions would also take place in other cities, such as Liberty City (GTA IV)
- The game would take place in the 80s and the player will play a drug lord in the making. The player would start off as a simple henchman in cocaine trafficking in Vice City, before rising through the ranks by developing partnerships with other drug godfathers.
- A gigantic Alcatraz-style prison would also be one of the play areas available.
- Martin Madrazo, head of a Mexican cartel and well-known character in GTA V and GTA Online, could appear in the game in its early stages.
- The game would tackle social issues of the time such as the appearance of AIDS, communism, or even the tensions between the United States and Cuba without forgetting the golden age of the Colombian cartels, that of Medellin and Pablo. Escobar in the lead.
- The game’s storyline, characters, and narrative structure would be heavily inspired by the Netflix series Narcos and the Quentin Tarantino films (the game would take place in chapter form).
- The gameplay of the game would be a subtle balance between the arcade side of GTA 5 and the high realism of Red Dead Redemption 2
- Weather cycles would be managed in real time, and the fact that part of the game takes place in Latin America would bring new effects (tornado, storm, monsoon period, etc.)
- GTA VI takes place over several years, the vehicles, the dress style, and the architecture of the buildings could evolve as the character evolves.
- The player’s personal vehicle would serve as a mini-hub, like the horse in Red Dead Redemption 2. Weapons would be stored in the trunk, and the player could not carry more than two weapons with him (again as on RDR 2)
- A ramp-up system (reputation, money, possibility of business development) would also be integrated, like what can be found on GTA Online
In May 2020, a new leak appeared on Reddit, bringing new details, not necessarily contradicting the information above. It evokes the place of the action of GTA VI, but also several playable characters as well as some elements of the gameplay.
- GTA VI will be in production since 2016 or 2017, but pre-production is said to have started as early as 2013.
- This leak is said to have originated from a disgruntled Rockstar employee.
Regarding the scenario:
- The map would be as large as those of GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2 combined. The playground would feature a fantasized Florida, but also a small island in Latin America that we would visit briefly.
- The city of Vice City would make a comeback, but it wouldn’t be alone. There would be three major cities in total as well as a smaller one.
- The story would feature drug trafficking managed by these four protagonists.
- The game would take place in two different temporalities: the 80s and today.
- There would be children in the game (a first in the series)
- The character of Mori Kibbutz, appeared in GTA IV would be present in the game.
- The tone of the scenario would be halfway between the darkness of a GTA IV and the madness of GTA V.
Regarding the gameplay:
Confusion remains as to the number of playable characters. While GTA V gave the possibility of playing 3 characters, some sources indicate that the 6th opus would present four. Others rather expect two characters including a woman, a first for the saga. This latest leak correlates with information that already appeared in 2018.
- The game would offer less linear missions than in GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2, leaving more choices to the player.
- The gameplay would take up some elements of Red Dead Redemption 2, such as the use of tonics (here transformed into drugs).
- The game would offer parkour, inspired by that of Sleeping Dogs, GTA-like released in 2012.
- It would be possible to change characters at any time as in GTA V. Unlike the latter, the change animation would be more “entertaining”.
- The melee combat would be inspired by that of Red Dead Redemption 2.
- It would be possible to strengthen the characters.
- The use of weapons would be more realistic than in GTA V.
These Reddit leaks are obviously to be taken with a grain of salt. These could only be fantasies of players who just want to get attention. Nevertheless, we notice certain information keep coming back, such as the presence of the city of Vice City, which players of old GTAs know well. But beware, because as Jason Shreier says, if a leak is a succession of specific points, it is false.
What will the GTA 6 map look like?
In October 2020, a supposed GTA 6 map has circulated on the net, or at least part of the map. You can see a mountainous island with, on its west side, a large city. By its geography, it could evoke Rio de Janeiro, mentioned above.
Even more, this island takes the form of part of the map which had leaked a few months ago. You could see Vice City, the island in question, but also another island as well as archipelagos. This could therefore corroborate the thesis of a GTA 6 with Narcos sauce. However, we must put it into perspective. These two cards have all the characteristics of fakes. Bad, what’s more.
A game designer analyzed the map and pointed out anything that was wrong. The city of Vice City, for example, is very poorly built, with no freeway interchanges inside the city for easy movement, no port areas and no canals. “The island of Rio” is also very monotonous in terms of game design, especially because of the beach that surrounds it. Rockstar indeed likes to “break” its environments to make them more interesting. In short, this map, if it is real, is the work of lazy, unimaginative game design, which is not the case with the developers of Rockstar. Ultimately, this card has every chance of being fake, but you will certainly see it running a lot on the web.
Another segment of the map, this time revealing the southern part of the island, appeared on 4chan in May 2021. This photo follows 3 more showing the same map, which reignites the debate around the veracity of these leaks. . These images were all posted by anonymous users, potentially various sources having access to the same information.
This file is obviously bound to evolve according to official announcements or possible new leaks. We’ve been waiting for a sequel to GTA V for seven years now, and we hope Rockstar will give us more information on the sequel soon.