Remote Shutdown or Restart is convenient when multiple computers are installed in different rooms and you do not want to continue running on each machine to physically shut down or restart it. Fortunately, Windows 10 provides a utility that allows you to shut down or restart networked computers.
This includes the Shutdown.exe utility, which simply shuts down or restarts Windows 10 computers on the local network when configured accordingly. From there, you only have a few seconds to complete the tasks remotely.
This allows you to shut down or restart your Windows 10 computer remotely.
Enable the registry service remotely
To shut down or turn on your computer remotely, start by setting up each computer on your local network.
By default, the remote registry service is disabled. Follow the instructions below to activate it.
1. Start the Services control panel on the Windows 10 computer that you want to shut down or restart remotely. Click Start and type
services.msc in the search bar. Press Enter to open the Services application.
2. Find the remote register in the list of search results.
3. Right-click it and select Properties.
4. Find the Startup Type in the Properties window and set it to Automatic.
5. Click Start to start it.
6. Open the computer’s firewall and open the required port.
7. In the search bar, type “Allow application through Windows Firewall”.
8. Press Enter.
9. Click Change settings.
10. Enable the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) exception. You need administrator privileges to do this on the remote computer, otherwise the command will fail. Press OK when done.
How to perform remote shutdown
To shut down your Windows 10 computer, follow these steps:
1. Click Start and type
2. Press Enter. The Command Prompt window opens.
3. Type the following command:
4. In the Remote Shutdown dialog box, add one or more computer names and specify whether you want to shut down or restart. You can also notify users and save the message to the event log.
Observe: you can find the name of the remote computer by clicking “Start -> right-click Computer -> Properties”.
Use the command line
This method requires that you change some registry settings to shut down or restart your Windows 10 computer. However, you must follow the instructions carefully, as any incorrect registry configuration can destabilize your system.
Related: 10 small adjustments to focus more precisely when using Windows 10
Do the following:
1. Right-click Start, and then click Run.
regedit and press Enter.
3. Navigate to the following registry key:
4. Right-click the System folder.
5. Select “New -> DWORD Value (32-bit)”.
6. Type a title: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy.
7. Double-click the value and change it to “1”.
8. Close the registry and close it.
9. Restart to confirm the changes. You can now shut down or restart your computer remotely.
10. Then click Start and type Command Prompt.
11. Right-click and select Run as administrator.
12. In the Command Prompt window, log on to the computer. For example:
net use MachineName and press Enter.
13. Enter your user name and password in the Microsoft account ID or on your computer.
and press Enter.
Depending on the switch you select, your remote computer will shut down or restart automatically.
You can also specify longer time periods for these processes and ensure that it stops or restarts by adding
/f go to the command line as follows:
close all applications running on the remote device.
This method is useful when you want to shut down or turn on a remote connection to a Windows 10 computer at the same time each day.
When the command line works, there can be a problem if you have to do it every time. The easiest option is to automate the shutdown and / or restart of all Windows 10 computers.
1. Start Notepad.
2. Enter a shutdown and / or restart command on each computer’s network on a new line. For example:
Observe: Depending on whether you want to shut down (-s) or restart (-r), you can change the switches and then save the file to your desktop with a .bat extension, i.e. shutdownrestart.bat.
Leave us a comment and let us know which of these methods worked for you.